- We will learn about key events and processes in the social, economic and political history of the Southeastern U.S.
- We will then apply our knowledge to the circumstances of our ancestors.
- We will identify the sources employed by the author and use these or similar sources in our personal research.
- We will assess the accuracy of the author in portraying historical details, and evaluate his/her effectiveness in creating atmosphere and context using these details.
- We will learn to empathize with the circumstances of ancestors by inhabiting the world created by novelists.
- We will determine how plausible fictional narratives are by comparing them with known historical information.